Between our long winter and extended quarantine, people
are embracing the warm weather more than ever! Trees are
leafing out, flowers are blooming and the summer sounds of
lawn mowers, children biking and playing, are boosting
everyone’s morale. It’s wonderful to see our neighbors are out
walking, gardening, grilling and visiting with one another.
As we begin preparing our homes and yards for summer,
there are a few things that we can do that often get
overlooked. Winters can be unkind to our homes and to
preserve its value and safety, it’s important to keep our homes
in peak condition. Aside from remodeling projects to keep
the house “current”, there are numerous maintenance
projects that should be addressed every year. Here’s a short
list of suggestions.
• Test your sump pump before the ‘rainy’ season. It can be
as simple as raising the float arm to hear it run.
• Remove dryer lint with a vacuum cleaner. Excess
accumulations of lint have been known to cause fires.
• Reverse ceiling fans (after cleaning the blades) to keep
rooms cooler in warmer weather.
• Check sinks, showers, and bathtubs to see if it is time to
re-caulk or unclog drains.
• Replace smoke detector batteries.
• Check gutters and downspouts for debris and that they
properly direct rain water away from the house.
• Trim overgrown limbs and branches from your house.
Rubbing branches can damage siding and roofs.
• Wash windows and repair screens.
• Tune up your A/C system and keep your compressor free
of leaves and cottonwood.
• Schedule a cleaning if you are on a septic system.
• Check deck railings and playground equipment for safety
Keeping your home in good shape enhances your comfort,
safety, and property value. And your neighbors will thank
you. Please note that some projects, such as trimming
branches from your roof, should be handled by a skilled,
licensed contractor. Be safe and let us know if you need
A well-maintained house sells faster and often for more
money. When you are ready to move forward, Camarata
Numrich are the only SW Metro Realtors who combine
integrity, experience, and professionalism to elevate your
lifestyle and exceed your expectations.